Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sprouts

March's class was on sprouting and we had a great time learning about the many things that can be sprouted.

Alfalfa seed mix
Mung bean mix
Lentils
Hard red winter wheat
White wheat
Kamut
Oat groats
Red Quinoa
White Quinoa
Amaranth
Brown rice
Harvest rice mix (from Costco)
Black beans
White beans
Sunflower seeds (not the typical ones you eat, these are black and grown for sprouting)
Wheat grass
Almonds
Walmuts

Here are some things we learned from the class: 
1. Wheat grass is made by sprouting the wheat first, then planting in a thin layer of soil.  It is not hard to grow, but takes a bit of dedication in keeping it moist, but not too moist or it gets moldy.  It is extremely healthy for you.
2.  Almonds and walnuts don't really sprout tails, but taste incredible (and quite different) when soaked.  The walnuts lost their bitter taste.  I want to only eat soaked walnuts from now on.  I used walnuts I bought from Costco and rinsed them in a strainer to get the dirt, dust and whatever from the processing and packaging, then put them in a bowl and covered with water.  Do the same thing with almonds.  Always drain and rinse one more time before using.  
3.  Almond milk is so easy to make from soaked almonds.  I used a 3 to 1 ratio, meaning 3 cups water to 1 cup almonds.  Most people thought it tasted thinner that store bought almond milk.  A 2 to 1 ratio might taste more like store bought if that is your preference.  
4.  The harvest rice mix from Costco did not do well.  There was one rice in the mix that did not sprout and molded in the jar.
5.  All the wheat sprouted well and I can't wait to use it in my waffle recipe.  I took the sprouted wheat and kamut (a type of grain, similar to wheat) and dried in the dehydrator at 105 degrees so as not to kill the living enzymes.   This image is of the dried sprouts on the dryer sheet.   I am going to grind them into flour and make waffles out of them and add some of the fresh wheat sprouts to the batter.

6.  I had a lot of leftover sprouts so I combined some of the red and white wheat, kamut, both quinoa's, oat groats, and the amaranth, placed some into baggies and placed into the freezer for later.  I took 1/2 cup, placed in a thermos, covered with a cup of boiling water, placed the lid on, shook gently and let sit overnight.  In the morning I drained the water off and added the almond milk I made for the class and added honey and a banana.  It made a delicious, highly nutritious breakfast.  Here are the bags of cereal before they went into the freezer.

7.  The lentils I have been using on my daily salad along with the alfalfa seed mix.  They are really tasty and I love knowing that I am getting a high concentration of enzymes, minerals and nutrients from them.  I also made lentil soup with some of the sprouts.  I probably killed some of the live enzymes from cooking them as long as I did, but the soup was so delicious.  The best part, Dennis ate 2 bowls full and said it tasted really good.  That's unusual for him.  Here is a picture of my salad with sprouts and sprouted lentil soup.  SO YUMMY!

8.  I loved the taste of the sunflower seed sprouts.  I had never seen them before Angie (my niece) brought them to demonstrate that night.  You grow them similar to wheat grass.  They may not be quite as nutritious as wheat grass, but they taste SO much better.  
9.  The beans sprouted okay, but not so much as most of the other things.  Only a part of each jar actually sprouted tails.  They were too hard to eat raw for my taste, so I made a soup out of them.  Dennis really like this soup also.  Perhaps the difference in taste of the bean and lentil soups from my regular soups using dried, came from sprouting them first.

If you haven't tried sprouting before, now is a good time to try.  The health benefits are amazing and they actually taste really good.  It is easy to do.

Sprouting steps:
1. Place seeds, grains, or beans in a glass jar or sprouting tray (there are many different types of sprouting trays on the market.  I just use a wide mouth quart jar with a special sprouting lid I got at my local health food store.  I didn't have enough of those lids to go over all the sprouts so I used new nylons bigger than the mouth of the jar and held it tight with rubber bands.  You could also use muslin, cheese cloth, or fine wire mesh.
2. Cover with water (r/o or distilled is best) and keep in the dark for 8 to 24 hours.
3. Drain water 
4. Rinse with fresh water, drain again, making sure to get all the water out.
5.  If using a jar, place upside down at an angle in the corner of the sink or in a dish drainer and let drain completely for a few minutes.  I then place mine on the counter top until time to rinse again. If you're using a sprouting tray, follow their instructions.
6. Complete step 4 and 5 every morning and night for approximately 3 or 4 days.  You don't want the sprouts to get as big as they sell in the store.  Those aren't really sprouts, they are plants.  
7.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment